- 2 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups beef broth
- 3 potatoes, diced
- 4 carrots, sliced ( I used the baby carrots and just threw in enough to look like 4 whole carrots)
- 1 stalk celery, chopped (I didn't have any on hand so I left it out.)
- 2/3 c to a cup of barley (I added this in because I like thick stew.)
- Place meat in slow cooker. In a small bowl mix together the flour, salt, and pepper; pour over meat, and stir to coat meat with flour mixture. Stir in the garlic, bay leaf, paprika, Worcestershire sauce, onion, beef broth, potatoes, carrots, celery and barley.
- Cover, and cook on Low setting for 10 to 12 hours, or on High setting for 4 to 6 hours. (I did mine for about 4 hours on high and a few more on low, mostly so I didn't have to deal with putting it in the fridge until dinner . )
- Serve with bread.
Overall this was an easy recipe. It really helps to have everything ready the night before and throw it in while making breakfast.