Monday, February 21, 2011

Pasta with Ricotta and Peas


From Parents Magazine

12 oz whole-wheat pasta (I used a 13.5 oz box of rotini)
1/2 cup part skim ricotta
3 tbsp olive oil
1 clove garlic chopped (I used 2...I would consider using 3 next time)
1 cup fresh peas (I used about 1 1/4 cup of frozen)
1 tsp. salt (plus salt for pasta water)

1/2 tsp pepper
1 cup halved yellow grape tomatoes (I used red grape tomatoes)
1 lemon, zested
1 c pasta water.

1.) Boil large pot of salted water and cook pasta as directed on package.  Drain and save 1 cup cooking liquid. In a bowl, toss pasta and ricotta until combined.

2.) In a large skillet, warm olive oil over med-high heat add  garlic saute for about 4 min.  Add the pasta water and cook until the peas are bright green and tender about 4 more min.

3.) Add the ricotta pasta and toss of low heat.  Add tomatoes.  Put in serving dish and sprinkle with Lemon.  Makes 4-6 servings.

I think this is a good mild, kid friendly pasta recipe.  For adults is not bad but not hugely flavorful either.  I might add more lemon or even other ingredients next time and set aside some for the baby of the family.

323 calories /serving (for 6), 11 g protein, 10 g fat, 5 g fiber, 68 mg calcium.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...