Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Easy Fish Dinner

I'm not a big fan of fish.  Tuna is about as adventurous as we got as kids.  I think most of this has to do with the fact that my parents never cooked fish and I'm pretty sure their parents didn't either.

I want to break the cycle of anti-fish eating behavior and try to make fish about 2 times a month.  So far the only fish I have liked have been the ones that aren't "fishy"  Tilapia fits that bill pretty well so that's where I went in the market when my 2.5 year old daughter asked if we could get some fish to eat (weird request, I know.)  I looked online for an easy recipe and found this:

Easy Baked Tilapia


Prep Time: 5 Minutes Ready In: 35 Minutes

Cook Time: 30 Minutes (25-35) Servings: 4
Ingredients:
4 (4 ounce) fillets tilapia (I used a whole package that was 1.18 lbs and 6 or 7 small fillets)
3 teaspoons butter
1/2 teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning TM, or
to taste
1/2 teaspoon garlic salt, or to taste
1 lemon, sliced 
Juice of 1/2 a lemon
1 (16 ounce) package frozen mixed veggies (I used cauliflower, broccoli, and carrot blend)
Directions:
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Grease a 9x13 inch baking dish.
2. Place the tilapia fillets in the bottom of the baking dish and dot with butter ( I also coated with some evoo). Season with Old Bay seasoning and garlic salt. Top each one with a slice or two of lemon. Arrange the frozen mixed vegetables around the fish, and season lightly with salt and pepper.
3. Cover the dish with foil and bake for 25 to 30 minutes in the preheated oven, until vegetables are tender and fish flakes easily with a fork. I also uncovered it and baked about 10 more minutes.

Prepped and uncooked

Cooked and Plated

It was very easy to make and did not require being "watched", which is a must with 2 little ones.  I made a side of brown rice with some chicken broth added to the water and some Old Bay sprinkled in the rice cooker at the beginning.  The verdict....we all liked it!!! By all I include a 2.5 year old a 9 month old and 2 adults. So this will go  into the rotation of recipes and I will try some more with Tilapia in the future.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...