Sunday, February 28, 2010

Part 2 Baby Quilt

I decided to use 12 x 12 squares and make the quilt itself square.  This helps for a couple reasons.  The total size will be about 42 inches square.  It will be useful as a play blanket when the baby is little and due to the symmetry there is no top or bottom of the blanket.  I made a blanket for my daughter and it is a rectangle.  I find that I always turn in so that I can wrap the long side around her so I won't have to worry about that with this blanket.

The actual cuts were 12.5 x 12.5 for the internal blocks, 3.5 x 3.5 for the corner blocks, 3.5 x 36.75 for the border strips. Everything was done with a 1/4 inch seam.


I have never made a quilt before (not with actual pieces).  The most challenging part was the corner pieces and getting the boarder, corner and blocks to make a nice corner where they meet.  I didn't follow any directions on this so I was just going on assumptions, some of which turned out wrong but hey, at least I learned.

I still have to iron the top, cut the batting and the back and sew that all together.  Then I will do a cheater sort of quilt with embroidery floss.  The point of quilting, in general, is to keep the inner batting layer from shifting.   Its also decorative but I'm more utilitarian and time saving.  All I did was get several coordinating colors of embroidery floss and tack down each corner on each intersection of fabric with a small stitch through the back.  I would leave about a 2 inch thread coming out of each end and tie a square knot.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...